Our Leadership Program
Inspiring Catholic Women to be Transformational and Influential Leaders Where They Live, Work, and Volunteer!
In meeting the vision of the Catholic Women’s Leadership create a “just, merciful, and compassionate world nurtured by the genius of women”, the Catholic Women’s Leadership Foundation, in partnership with the Providence School of Transformative Leadership and Spirituality at Saint Paul University in Ottawa, has developed a yearlong leadership certificate program to help Catholic women strengthen their leadership skills in an environment which integrates faith and spirituality.
This Program provides an excellent opportunity for Canadian Catholic women from all walks of life, who are committed to making a difference in society, by developing their leadership skills.
The Foundation is seeking women who meet the following criteria:
- A baptized Catholic woman, at least 21 years old who can demonstrate a genuine desire to cultivate her gifts of leadership.
- Has made a previous contribution to her community in a leadership capacity
- Demonstrate a commitment and plan to further her role as a Catholic leader on completion of the Program
- Competency in both oral and written English skills
- Commitment to complete the entire Program which includes online learning sessions and two in-person residence sessions in Ottawa
- Embrace the core elements of prayer and reflective practice which are integrated throughout the program
The 13-month Certificate Program consists of an in-person residency program at Saint Paul University in Ottawa and online modules guided by trained facilitators as follows:
- Online introductory module April 2021.
A five-day intensive component is planned for May 30, 2021 to June 3, 2021. This is scheduled to be through ZOOM, and you will be expected to participate in every session. All other modules are online and consist of videos, readings, personal reflections, and discussion forums.
The final face-to-face residency component is scheduled for May 1-5, 2022 in Ottawa. To assist with your planning, an announcement will be made by January 8, 2022 about whether this will be online or in person.
- The 5 online study modules, which are about 20 hours each, include videos, readings, personal reflections, discussion forums, and coaching sessions
The Program will explore the following major themes:
- What Does It Mean to be a Catholic Leader Today? Inspirational Catholic Women Leaders
- What Do We Mean by Transformative Leadership and Reflective Practice?
- Spirituality and Emotional Intelligence: Its Place in Transformative Leadership
- Transformative Leaders and Well-Being
- Catholic Social Teachings: Bioethics, Care of our Common Home; Moral issues for Leaders
- Bringing our Faith and Life Together: Our Ecological Responsibility
Highlights of this Program
- Spirituality and the Catholic faith perspective are foundational in all activities
- Prayer and reflective practice are integrated throughout the program
The Leadership Program is developed to accommodate women who may be working full time. It will be based on adult learning principles and will be women-centered. The program will feature numerous networking opportunities and a mentorship plan designed to strengthen each woman’s ability to grow.
After completing the Program, women will have the skills they need, whether they are speaking on behalf of an organization, fundraising for a local community group, making decisions that affect the health and well-being of people, serving as a director of a major organization or a government agency.
The Impact on Women and the Community
The impact of the Leadership Program is far-reaching for both the community and the Catholic Church. In the quest for Catholic social justice in society:
- Women will gain valuable leadership skills;
- Trained laywomen will be capable of providing succession in the area of Catholic social justice currently championed by the diminishing numbers of women religious;
- Registered charities will gain additional skill sets and knowledge, resulting in more effective promotion of their missions to create a just and compassionate society;
- Local parishes, committees, and dioceses will be strengthened by the feminine genius as women take on more leadership roles;
- Governments at all levels will be encouraged by a constituency of women not afraid to advocate on behalf of those without a voice.
Further, graduates will:
- Establish long-term relationships with like-minded women, encouraging one another;
- Gain the tools necessary to speak confidently about and act on contemporary social issues in corporate and social settings;
- Benefit from an increase in economic and career opportunities as they gain additional skills, indirectly enhancing influence within their personal spheres.
The total cost of the Program including travel, meals, and accommodation at Saint Paul University in Ottawa is $10,000. Each participant is responsible for paying a Program fee of $1,000 (payable on acceptance to the Program).
How to Apply
Applications for the 2021 program are due by November 20, 2020. If you have any questions regarding the Leadership Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you, Rita and the foundation!